Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Shadow Box Fun

I made this sign for my great niece's room.  She chose such cute colors and I wanted to make something fun for her to either hang or set on her dresser.  I think shadow boxes are so versatile because with their width, they can be set out or hung. 

These colors are just so fun! 
I ended up going with a very simple white frame to let them take center stage.


This is without the frame to show it a bit clearer.  I have to admit that I had fits getting a picture of it through the glass on the frame.  :)

I basically went with a quilted look.  Almost all of the supplies here are from Doodlebug Designs.  I am addicted to the Petite Prints.  They are perfect for adding a little bit of print to your projects.  The border strips, stickers and buttons are also from Doodlebug.  I mixed in a few punched border pieces, too.


I stitched on each piece of the paper to add some extra detailing and add to the quilted look. 

You can also see here that I dry embossed the large letters that I cut with my electronic cutter.  To make sure that they stay looking nice over time, I cut 3 of each letter.  I then embossed only the top layer, glued the 3 layers together and added some thin foam dots to the back. 

Lots more foam dots were used to attach the flowers and leaves.


You can see some more of the details in this picture.  You can see that I used a different embossing folder on the 'v' for more interest. 

If you look closely, you can see that there is transparency behind the blue flower.  (The only time I am happy about glare!)  The flower is a cardstock sticker.  Adding transparency to the back of stickers gives them more strength for when you want to raise them up.   Although this won't be in a book, this is also a great way to add strength to stickers and papers with foam backing and help with keeping them looking great over time.


I had such a fun time with this one! 

Now... she will be shocked if I finally get her dust ruffle made!  :)



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment